NWGA Scanner | March 14th, 2021

Dalton man tased after refusing to get out of vehicle during traffic stop, charged with DUI

According to a Whitfield County Sheriff’s Office incident report, on March 3rd, 2021, Sgt. Dalton was observing traffic in the area of Beaverdale Road and Richmond Drive. The deputy observed a white 2013 Ford Taurus Georgia being driven by William Jason Crawford, 38 of Dalton, traveling south on Beaverdale Road. The deputy was familiar with Crawford’s vehicle having suspended registration with unknown insurance because a caller had previously called in on March 1st, stating that the white Ford Taurus was all over the roadway and the driver was possibly driving under the influence. The deputy conducted a traffic stop on Crawford due to the registration being suspended and unknown insurance. Crawford made a wide right turn onto Tillman Drive then came to a stop on East Rinda Drive. The deputy advised Crawford that he needed his license and proof of insurance for the vehicle. Crawford refused to provide his license and proof of insurance several times. Crawford advised the deputy he was not going to give his license or proof of insurance. The deputy confirmed through dispatch that the vehicle did have suspended registration with unknown insurance status. Another deputy responded to assist with the traffic stop due to the way Crawford was acting. A wrecker was called to the scene for the vehicle due to not being able to confirm if the vehicle had insurance. The deputy issued Crawford a citation for no insurance and suspended registration and was going to allow him to leave the scene on foot or to get a ride. Crawford instead refused to step out of the vehicle so the vehicle could be towed. Crawford stated that he did not consent to a search. Crawford continued to refuse to get out of the vehicle or open the door. A deputy unlocked the door from the inside and opened the door. As the deputy was doing this, Crawford pushed the deputy’s hand away. The deputy grabbed Crawford’s arm and asked him to step out of the vehicle. Crawford tensed up his arm and refused to exit the vehicle. The deputy drew his taser and advised Crawford several times if he did not exit the vehicle, he was going to tase him. Crawford continued to refuse to get out of the vehicle. The deputy deployed the taser striking Crawford in the chest area. Deputies attempted to pull Crawford out of the vehicle. Crawford advised that he did not do anything wrong. Deputies advised Crawford that he was under arrest for obstruction. Crawford continued to pull from deputies and refused to get out of the vehicle. Crawford was pulled out of the vehicle and placed onto the ground. Deputies advised Crawford several times to turn onto his belly from his back. Crawford advised that his hands were in the air and he was not getting on “shit”. Crawford was finally placed in handcuffs but refused to stand up. Deputies had to pick him up off the ground. Crawford then started pulling away from deputies and yelling at them to get off of him. When a deputy went to search Crawford’s pockets, and he started jumping and kicking, throwing a tantrum. During this time, a deputy could smell a strong odor of an alcoholic beverage emitting from Crawford’s person. When asked how much he had to drink and he yelled nothing. Crawford was escorted to a patrol vehicle, where he refused to get in the back of the vehicle. During an inventory of Crawford’s vehicle, deputies located three empty and opened Skol Premium liquor bottles (40% Alcohol/80 proof). Also, four unopened bottles were located in the vehicle. Crawford refused Georgia’s implied consent. Crawford was transported to the Whitfield County Jail charged with willful obstruction of law officers, DUI-driving under the influence of alcohol, open container violation, no insurance, and suspended registration.