NWGA Scanner | August 9th, 2021

Dalton woman arrested for DUI after officers respond to fight at the Mapco in Dalton

According to a Dalton Police Department incident report, on August 1st, 2021, at approximately 3:56 AM, Officer Mullinax and Officer Marcus responded to the Mapco located at 741 Riverbend Road in reference to a fight in progress. On scene officers made contact with Jesus Garcia, Jessica Torres, 24, of Dalton, Denisse Hernandez Bello, and Gayton Valquez. Officer Mullinax reported, “[I] began speaking to Jesus, who was very intoxicated and belligerent.” Jesus said he had been attacked with a bat. According to the report, Jessica and Denisse began screaming and yelling at him that it was not true. The officer then spoke to Denisse, who was sober. She said that she was not sure what had happened prior to her and Gayton’s arrival but said that Jessica called her to come to get her. According to the report, she said that when she arrived on the scene, she saw Jessica and Jesus arguing, and she said she saw Jesus grab Jessica. She said that Gayton had a bat and but it was not used to hit anyone. She said that she and Gayton were able to separate Jessica and Jesus. Officer Mullinax reported, “[I] spoke to Jessica, who was very intoxicated. Her eyes were very glassy, and her speech was very slurred. She said that nothing had happened and kept wanting to leave the scene. At this time, no one wished to press charges. Denisse agreed to take Jessica home. Jesus called someone to come get him Denisse, Gayton, and Jessica left the scene.” According to the report, a few moments later, Jessica arrived back on the scene, driving a Ford Expedition. She drove into the parking lot at a high rate of speed and almost struck Jesus in the process. She exited the vehicle quickly and was asked why she returned driving, knowing she was intoxicated and would be going to jail for DUI. Officer Mullinax reported, “She said she was not intoxicated and said she would blow in an Alco-Sensor. While waiting for the Alco-Sensor, she became very irate. She yelled at officers on the scene, as well as Jesus. She even called 911 and requested a female officer. [I] had her blow in the Alco-Sensor. She blew a .10 BAC.” The officer placed her into handcuffs and secured her in the rear of his patrol car. According to the report, “While doing this, she continued to yell and pull away. Once in the patrol car, she would go from yelling and kicking the door to sobbing.” She was read Georgia Implied Consent and refused any further testing. Jessica was transported to the Whitfield County Jail, charged with DUI-less safe.