NWGA Scanner | September 25th, 2021

Drunk Dalton man tased after assaulting officer while resisting arrest at the Willowdale Lodge

According to a Dalton Police Department incident report, on September 12th, 2021, at around 7:49 PM, Officer Castillo responded to a call about a disturbance at the Willowdale Lodge located at 1116 Willowdale Road. Dispatch advised that the caller had seen two people fighting in the parking lot of the apartment complex. Officer Castillo reported, “[I] arrived on scene and began to look around for anyone that appeared to have been fighting.” A subject advised that a drunk man named Shane was in the parking lot trying to provoke people into fighting him. According to the report, He suspected that Shane was intoxicated or on some type of drug. Another subject walked up and said that Shane had tried to fight him as well, but he was able to defend himself. Officer Castillo reported, “[I] asked them what Shane looked like and what he was wearing. They advised that Shane had tattoos all over his body and had horns tattooed on his head. He was also wearing a black muscle shirt with shorts. [I] began walking toward the end of the building and got out with several people. One of the subjects was not wearing a shirt but had a black shirt around his neck. This subject also had several tattoos all over his body and horns on his forehead.” A female said that Shane was causing a lot of problems and was going around to different people and getting in their faces. This female also said that Shane was drunk and needed to go back to his room. Officer Castillo began talking to Shane and asked him what was going on. According to the report, Shane said that he was cool and just wanted to go back to his room. Officer Castillo reported, “While talking with Shane, he had a difficult time forming his words and slurred his speech. [I] also detected the strong odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from his person/body. Shane also had a hard time walking to his apartment building and almost fell down at times.” During this whole time, Shane was cooperative and followed the officer’s instructions. Officer Jenkins and McDaniel arrived on the scene to assist. Shane was heard yelling out, “Let’s go!”. Officer Castillo reported, “Shane was to my right, and Officer Jenkins and McDaniel were to his right. [I] turned to Shane and asked him what was going on. Shane then yelled at me, “Let’s go! You want to go?!”. While Shane yelled at me, he extended both arms out in front of him with both hands closed in a fist. Shane also positioned himself with his feet apart at an angle and bending his knees, taking a fighting stance. Shane also pulled up his shorts to be better able to move. Shane again yelled, “Let’s go!”. [I] un-holstered my taser and turned it on. Shane was between me and Officers McDaniel and Jenkins. Shane was turning his head and looking at the officers on each side of him and appeared to be ready to make a move on us. [I] was going to tase Shane when Officer McDaniel tackled him from behind, taking him down to the ground.”
Shane began resisting arrest by keeping his arms under his chest and moving around, trying to get back up. Shane was then able to turn on his side and struck Officer McDaniel several times in the face. Officer Castillo un-holstered his taser again and yelled out, “Taser taser”. The officer deployed his taser at Shane’s chest, striking him. The officer then contact tased him around his back to get more effect. While officers were struggling with Shane, his brother came out of a room and began to approach officers and yell. According to the report, Shane’s brother also appeared to be excited and wanted officers to get off of him. Officers had to give the brother several commands to get back and advised him that he too would end up being tased as well if he kept trying to approach them. Officers were finally able to take Shane into custody and transport him to the Whitfield County Jail charged with
Shane was charged with felony obstruction, disorderly conduct, and public intoxication. According to a Whitfield County Sheriff’s Office incident report, on September 17th, 2021, at around 9:05 PM, Deputies were in the housing office when the fire alarm went off. South-2 tower operator called housing explaining that Inmate Brandon Voyles, located in R-Block, cell 6, popped the sprinkler-head. Voyles was placed under arrest and escorted to the hub. According to the report, “Once in the hub, Inmate Voyles stated, “I did not know that it was a sprinkler, I thought it was a camera. The other Inmates in the block told me to break it, and I would go home.” I then stated, “Do you really think we are that stupid?” Sgt. Brown asked Inmate Voyles why? Inmate Voyles stated, “Now I am too scared to say anything. I thought it was a camera.” This is not Inmate Voyles’s first time popping a sprinkler head. In previous years, Inmate Voyles has popped numerous sprinkler-heads while in our custody.” Voyles was charged with felony interference with government property.