NWGA Scanner | April 21st, 2021

Felon wanted by the U.S. Marshals arrested after high-speed chase on I-75 ends in Gordon County

According to a Georgia State Patrol incident report, on April 6th, 2021, at approximately 5:15 PM, Trooper Day was advised of a black Infiniti G35 with a suspended Georgia registration of “RWD8100” traveling southbound on I-75. MCO3 Sturdivan and Trooper Day were both alerted that the suspect was actively tracked by the U.S. Marshals Office, who advised that he was in the area of the Georgia/Tennessee State Line. The suspect, later identified as Quin’Velle Latrell Quarles, 32, of Gainesville, had full extradition felony warrants, known to have weapons, and every encounter in the past with law enforcement fled from those encounters. MCO3 Sturdivan located the vehicle in the area of I-75 southbound, passing the weigh the station. MCCD requested assistance from GSP and Whitfield County with conducting a felony traffic stop. According to a Whitfield County Sheriff’s Office incident report, Deputy Witt joined MCCD Sturdivan I-75 southbound at 328 exits. Trooper Day joined shortly after, and a felony traffic stop was initiated approximately half a mile north of I-75 Exit 326. Trooper Day, MCCD Officer Sturdivan, and Deputy Witt observed that the windows of the vehicle had dark window tint, making it difficult to see inside the vehicle. The trooper gave loud verbal commands for Quarles to turn the vehicle off. Quarles placed his hands out the window but then placed his hands back into the vehicle. Quarles placed the vehicle into drive and accelerated at a high rate of speed, initiating a felony pursuit. Deputy Witt terminated his part in the pursuit per instructions from his supervisor. Trooper Day reported, “[I] observed Mr. Quarles travel at a high rate of speed on the right shoulder as he passed multiple other vehicles. Mr. Quarles began operating his motor vehicle in a reckless manner as he traveled from the right lane into the left lane without signaling in the area of MM325. Mr. Quarles continued operating his motor vehicle with total disregard for the other motoring public as he passed multiple vehicles on the left shoulder in the area of MM324.” Quarles reached speeds of 140 MPH in a 70 MPH zone as he continued to operate the vehicle in a reckless manner as he used all three lanes of I-75 southbound to avoid capture. In the area of mile marker 321, Quarles began passing other motorists on the right shoulder, and he then made an evasive maneuver into the left lane. As Quarles performed this lane change, Quarles nearly struck a white Chevrolet Corvette in the rear. Quarles attempted to pass motorists on the left shoulder while he was negotiating a left curve near exit 320. Quarles failed to maintain his lane as he lost control of his vehicle. The vehicle rotated clockwise as it traveled over all three lanes of I-75. Quarles regained control of his vehicle, and he began traveling south on the entrance ramp to I-75 south from GA-136. Quarles stopped his vehicle on the bridge over the Oostanaula River. Quarles climbed from the driver seat while at gunpoint and climbed out of the passenger front window. Quarles then jumped over the concrete traffic barrier where he fell into the Oostanaula River below. Trooper Chiesa and Gordon County Deputy Payne both advised they observed a black handgun in Quarles’s hand as he jumped into the river. Officer Sturdivan, as well as Deputy Payne, gave cover while Trooper Day detained the other two occupants. Quarles was observed floating in the river below. Quarles was able to exit the river and took off running on foot. GSP Cpl. Best and Trooper Daniel responded to the area where Quarles was last seen. A short time later, both troopers located Quarles in a densely wooded area on the east side of I-75. They took Quarles at gunpoint with their patrol rifles taking him into custody without further incident. Quarles was found to have an active felony warrant through the Dawson County Sheriff’s Office as well as a felony warrant through the Forsyth County Sheriff’s Office. Both the sheriff’s office advised that the warrants were valid, and they wanted a hold to be placed on Quarles.