NWGA Scanner | December 1st, 2021

Summerville teen leads Whitfield County deputies on 130 mph pursuit after shots fired at large party

According to a Whitfield County Sheriff’s Office incident report, on November 14th, 2021, at approximately 2:00 AM, Sgt. Dalton was assisting Deputy Sharpe with a traffic stop in the parking lot of Walgreens located at East Morris Street and East Walnut Avenue. According to the report, “While on this traffic stop, Sgt. Dalton and Deputy Sharpe heard four to five-gun shots come from the area of Van Buren Drive and East Morris Street. Sgt. Dalton was familiar with a very large party taking place at this location due to a noise complaint earlier at this location. Sgt. Dalton also knew that the attendees of this party were using the Bealls Outlet (2311 East Morris Street) parking lot for parking and that the entire parking lot was full of vehicles.” As deputies drove to the area, they observed people and vehicles scattering from the area. According to the report, Deputies covered the exits in an attempt to secure the scene in case anyone had been shot. According to the report, Sgt. Dalton observed two vehicles go across the parking lot at a high rate of speed to the side of the building, and one vehicle turned all of its lights off. Sgt. Dalton went after the vehicles, and the vehicles continued going beside the building at a high rate of speed. Sgt. Dalton caught up to the vehicles behind the building in which one of the vehicles stopped at Hewitt Drive, but the other one continued driving erratically and turned onto Hewitt Drive toward East Morris Street. Sgt. Dalton had his emergency equipment activated during this time. Sgt. Dalton pursued the vehicle on Hewitt Drive, at which point the vehicle ran the stop sign at Hewitt Drive and East Morris Street, turning south onto East Morris Street. At that point, Sgt. Dalton was able to tell the vehicle was a silver Nissan Maxima with a Georgia tag.” The pursuit reached speeds of 60mph while on East Morris Street and ran the red light at East Walnut Avenue. The vehicle continued south on Airport Road, at which point the vehicle gained distance on Sgt. Dalton due to him having to stop at the red light. At this time, Deputy Sharpe and Lt. Gibson also joined in the pursuit to assist. Deputies observed the vehicle turn right onto the South Bypass, still driving at a high rate of speed. Sgt. Dalton requested the Georgia State Patrol assist with the pursuit. According to the report, “Sgt. Dalton continued to pursue the vehicle south on the South Bypass, at which time the vehicle was at speeds of approximately 120mph. Dispatch advised that the tag on the vehicle had returned to an address out of Summerville, GA. The vehicle continued on the South Bypass to Conn 3 at which time the vehicle went south on I-75. At this time, Deputy Spence became secondary in the pursuit.” The pursuit reached speeds in excess of 130mph on I-75. The vehicle got off at Exit 320 and turned right onto Highway 136. Deputy Spence took over as the primary in the pursuit and started looking for an opportunity to attempt a PIT Maneuver to end the pursuit. The vehicle then stopped, and deputies performed a felony stop on the vehicle ordering the occupants out of the vehicle. The driver was identified as Tre’juan Amaru Farmer, 18, of Summerville. The passengers of the vehicle were identified as Timyus Lawrence, 19, of Rome, Eddie Lackey, 19, of Rome, Jundraius Adams, 20 of Summerville, and Sylvester Bassey, 18, of Rome. All were detained for further investigation. Sgt. Dalton reported he could smell a strong odor of marijuana emitting from Farmer as he was speaking to him. According to the report, “Farmer did not know why he did not stop and said that he should have, that he thought he could make it back to Summerville. Farmer stated that his friends had nothing to do with it and that they were telling him to pull over. Farmer stated that he had never been in trouble, so he does not know why he ran. Farmer stated that he heard the shooting, but he did not know who did it because they were coming out of the party.” Farmer was transported to the Whitfield County Jail charged with felony fleeing/attempting to elude police officer, reckless driving, failure to stop at a stop sign, and failure to obey traffic control devices.