NWGA Scanner | March 24th, 2021

Tennessee man arrested after shoplifting from Walmart and nearly running over Whitfield County deputy

Michael James Flowers, 45, of Cleveland, Tennessee man was booked into the Whitfield County Jail Thursday on warrants for aggravated assault on an officer engaged in duties, misdemeanor willful obstruction of law officers, misdemeanor fleeing/attempting to elude a police officer and reckless driving. The warrants were obtained after Flowers almost struck a Whitfield County Sheriff’s Office deputy with his vehicle after shoplifting from the Walmart Supercenter located at 2545 East Walnut Avenue in Dalton back in November of 2020. According to a Whitfield County Sheriff’s Office report, on Thursday, November 5th, 2020, at around 6:18 PM, a deputy was dispatched to the Walmart Supercenter located at 2545 East Walnut Avenue in reference to a shoplifting that had already occurred. Walmart loss prevention called dispatch advising an unknown woman and Michael Flowers, 45, of Cleveland, TN, were in the store and removed a security device to remove two Hart Lithium Ion rechargeable batteries valued at $79.00 then leaving the store with the items. While removing the security device, one of the individuals left their phone on the shelf. The phone was recovered by the loss prevention associate, who shortly after received a call on it from Flowers, who advised it was his phone. The loss prevention associate told him he could come to the store and recover it. The deputy arrived at Walmart, entering through the rear of the store as instructed by the associate. Deputy Small made his way to the front of the store to make contact with the associate. While approaching the front of the store, on the grocery side, the deputy could see the associate jumping and waving, yelling, “they’re trying to leave in a white car.” The deputy ran out the doors seeing Flowers getting into the driver’s side of a white Oldsmobile and a female entering the passenger side. The deputy was wearing Whitfield County Class A uniform, clearly showing his position and badge confronted the vehicle, placing himself in front of the hood. The deputy yelled and instructed Flowers to turn the vehicle off numerous times and for both individuals to get out of the vehicle. Flowers just starred at the deputy while the female yelled, go, go, go! The deputy could see Flowers shift the transmission into an unknown gear. The deputy continued yelling at Flowers to put the vehicle in park and to get out of the vehicle again. The deputy had to quickly approach the passenger side of the vehicle in fear. Flowers was about to run him over with the vehicle. The deputy attempted to open the passenger side to remove the female from the vehicle. Flowers accelerated aggressively out of the parking spot, almost striking the deputy. The deputy pursued the vehicle on foot in order to clearly call out the Tennessee license plate number of 2V17H4, which returned as Flowers’ vehicle. While fleeing, Flowers almost struck a vehicle, reaching extremely high rates of speed in the busy parking lot, then turned East on Walnut Avenue. Flowers remained in the Whitfield County jail on Monday night.