NWGA Scanner | July 24th, 2022

Wanted Chattanooga man leads GSP troopers on early morning multi-state high speed chase

According to a Georgia State Patrol incident report, On July 2nd, 2022, at 3:05 AM, TFC2 Shaw was on supervisor-approved road check on the I-75 south exit ramp at exit 353 in Catoosa County. Trooper Shaw observed a 2009 BMW 550i approach the road check. The driver of the vehicle, later identified as Marcus L. Ragsdale, 22, of Chattanooga, TN, put the car in reverse and backed up the exit ramp and began to travel south on I-75. Trooper Shaw reported, “[I] activated my emergency lights and siren in an attempt to conduct a traffic stop on the vehicle. The driver failed to stop and initiated a pursuit. The pursuit continued south on I-75 at speeds over 140 mph. Marcus was driving in a reckless manner with total disregard for the public by passing vehicles on the shoulder and making improper and erratic lane changes without using turn signals. Marcus exited the interstate at Exit 350 and made a left turn, running the red traffic light. While on Georgia 2, the driver drove on the wrong side of the roadway, again showing total disregard for public safety. [I] observed that there was no traffic on Georgia 2, so [I] traveled in the wrong lane in an attempt to perform a Precision Immobilization Technique (P.I.T.) to end the pursuit. As [I] pulled up beside his vehicle, the suspect slammed on the brakes and made a left turn onto I-75 Northbound. While traveling north on I-75, Marcus continued to drive in an extremely reckless manner at speeds over 140 mph, continued passing on the shoulders, making improper lane changes, and changing multiple lanes at a time. The pursuit continued north on I-75 into Tennessee.” Marcus went I-24 westbound, continuing to drive extremely recklessly at speeds over 140 mph. The pursuit continued on I-24, where Marcus took several exits, running multiple red lights. According to the report, “The pursuit continued on I-24 West to Exit 175, where Marcus exited the interstate and made a left turn. Marcus then made another left turn onto the entrance ramp to travel back eastbound on I-24. As Marcus approached mile marker 178, he lost control, crashed, and disabled his BMW.” Marcus jumped from the vehicle from the passenger side and fled on foot into the wood line. Shortly after the crash, Chattanooga Police Department K9 unit arrived on the scene and began a track to search for Marcus. The K9 located Marcus shortly after, and he was taken into custody. Marcus stated that his name was Amair Bibbs with a date of birth of /04. TFC3 Terry read the driver his Miranda rights, and he stated he would answer questions. Trooper Shaw reported, “[I] noticed his eyes were bloodshot. [I] asked him when was the last time that he had smoked marijuana. He stated about two hours ago. [I] advised him he was under arrest and read him Georgia Implied Consent Notice for Suspects under the age of 21 (from the green card), requesting a state-administered chemical test of his blood. He refused. It was later discovered that he had given a false name and date of birth.” When Marcus was checked on GCIC/NCIC, it returned that he had a suspended Tennessee Driver’s License and multiple warrants for his arrest.